Freight Investor Services (FIS) is a leading global brokerage of freight and commodities. We are the world’s largest broker on dry freight futures, and have a strong presence across the bulk commodities, metals, and energy markets. We were the first brokerage to trade in the cleared market on iron ore and later coking coal futures, we also maintain a strong position in broking steel futures on all exchanges, as well as fuel oil, base metals, fertilisers, and tanker freight. We are proud of our innovative ethos, having been first mover on a number of products, most recently on the cobalt and air freight futures markets. Not only do we provide excellent brokerage services, but also data services, our App FIS Live, as well as education services to help those entering new markets.
We have expanded via our network of trading associates and branch offices to offer coverage of derivative and physical shipping markets in the UK, US, Dubai, India, Singapore and China. Through our global network, FIS offers full brokerage services, trade execution and in-depth market intelligence and data for freight and commodities, as well as providing physical ship and cargo services. Our expertise in managing credit and counterparty risk provides a vital competitive advantage while enabling clients to trade with confidence.
We have an exciting opportunity for a SQL Programme Developer to join a dynamic, entrepreneurial and fast-moving broking environment. The role sits within a small IT team and is an ideal opportunity for a a SQL Programmer to further their experience in designing, creating and maintaining databases.
- Design, create and maintain database tables and structures
- Create views, functions and stored procedures
- Oversee data capture and analytics projects
- Write optimised SQL queries for integration with other applications
- Create database triggers for use in automation
- Maintain data quality and oversee database security
- Perform any other reasonable duties, especially supporting the desk heads of Business Development and Communications.
- Seek regular feedback from IT management to further development technical and analytical skills.
- Seek regular feedback from Manager to ensure role requirements are met
- Complete any mandatory training required by the company and required deadlines
- Maintain own Continued Professional Development (CPD)
Key competencies / skills
- Proactive and self – motivated with a logical approach to problem-solving – essential
- Demonstrate experience overseeing data capture and analytics projects – essential
- Excellent attention to detail; strong analytical and numeracy skills – essential
- Demonstrate proven track record of delivery
- Ability to prioritise own work and work well under pressure – essential
- Excellent SQL Programming Skills (essential), Python knowledge (desirable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team oriented; works well with others and diverse groups / personalities and also independently, apprising manager on a daily/as needed basis
- Personable, demonstrating excellent relationship building skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to challenge others
- Good all-round IT skills including advanced Excel and data manipulation skills.
- Financial Services industry experience and understanding of the markets in which the company operates – desirable
FIS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.