Freight Investor Services is the global leader in dry bulk derivatives. With a pedigree that goes back to the formation of the dry bulk FFA market, FIS has enjoyed sustained growth in each year of operation. We have the proven ability to recognise, develop and exploit nascent derivative markets and consistently deliver the most accurate data, insight and expertise to support them. Our experts have the background and experience to understand not only the forces that drive markets, but also how to create products that can be used to manage trading opportunities that arise from those movements.
We have leveraged our experience in FFAs to develop risk management tools for related commodities including Iron Ore, Steel and Scrap, Fuel Oil, Fertilizers, Tankers and Air Freight. We have expanded via our network of trading associates and branch offices to offer coverage of derivative and physical shipping markets in the UK, US, Dubai, India, Singapore and China. Through our global network, FIS offers full brokerage services, trade execution and in-depth market intelligence for dry bulk freight and commodity swaps, as well as providing physical ship and cargo services. Our expertise in managing credit and counterparty risk provides a vital competitive advantage while enabling clients to trade with confidence.
We are expanding the business and have an exciting opportunity for a Broker to be part of our Tanker FFA team. This is a mid-level role for a dynamic and motivated individual who has a passion for the financial markets. You will be personable, tenacious and a natural networker, having a proactive approach to generating leads and securing new business. In addition, you will be highly motivated, analytical and thrive in a fast-moving environment. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a proven track record as a broker in Tanker FFA / shipping markets.
- Promote FIS as a company; providing market intelligence and analysis to clients
- Arrange trades via voice broking on and behalf of clients for execution at relevant exchange;
- Ensure all trades are executed on a non-advice / execution only basis
- Reconcile and enter trades in Trade Manager and/or relevant exchange as necessary
- Maintain and enhance existing client relationships, making regular contact and tracking daily trading activities
- Proactively solicit feedback from industry participants via trade calls, surveys, industry events, trade shows and conferences
- Produce a daily/weekly update of market prices, market direction for international desks
- On-board new clients following correct Compliance and Operations procedures
- Regularly assess client needs and financial conditions to identify internal cross-selling opportunities
- Understand the desk’s business strategy; identify and seize new business opportunities relating to trends, future markets, products and clients
- Perform any other reasonable duties the company may require
Risk related responsibilities
- Understand regulation within the evolving regulatory landscape
- Support a risk and compliance aware culture and comply with FIS company policies
- Exercise judgement and act with integrity, due care, skill and diligence and open and co-operative with the FCA, other regulators and exchanges
- Ensure full awareness of and adhere to internal policies that relate to the role or any relevant other activities
- Observe standards of market conduct and ensure understanding and adherence to all regulatory, exchange or clearing house requirements applicable to role
- Seek regular feedback from Desk Head to ensure role requirements are met
- Complete any mandatory training required by the company and required deadlines
- Maintain own Continued Professional Development (CPD)
Key competencies & skills
- Possess sound knowledge of Tanker FFA / shipping markets; sound knowledge of derivatives as well as underlying markets and technical aspects of broking – essential
- Strong client focus; personable and engaging building relationships and networks wherever possible – essential
- Communicating effectively with clients and colleagues – essential
- Demonstrate professional CPD – essential
- Strong academic background (ideally Finance, Economics or similar); degree educated – Essential
- Tenacious and thrives in a pressurised environment – essential
- Team oriented; works well with others and diverse groups / personalities – essential
- Excellent attention to detail; strong analytical and numeracy skills – essential
FIS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.